Friday, June 28, 2013

July 4th Preparations

Hi everyone! I have been busy this week preparing for a July 4th party will be hosting.  So far, I am almost finished with some super cute burlap ribbon napkin rings - they are going to be adorable.  This morning I started making my now-famous-within-my-family cake balls.  They are super yum and are so versatile for any occasion.

 
 
Cake Balls
 
Bake your favorite sheet cake (I've used chocolate, red velvet, & white) - today, I used chocolate
 


Once your cake is baked and completely cool, you are going to crumble into fine crumbs.  You could use a food processor, but I simply use my hands - as it crumble easily.


 


 
Once it is crumbled, you will want to add a generous dollop of vanilla frosting.  I have used chocolate frosting, but it gets too sweet for my taste.  Stir until no trace of white remains.  
 
 

 
 
Once you are done mixing, your cake/frosting mixture will have the consistency of cookie dough.  I use a small ice cream scoop to ensure a uniform size of cake ball. So, simply start scooping and placing in a pan - I use the 9 x 13 pan I used to bake the cake in.  Cuts down on clean up!
 
 

 Once the cake balls are all formed, you can either leave them as is, but this time I found these fun lollipop sticks at Wal Mart, which will go great with my 4th of July theme! 


 Once all the sticks have been placed, put the pan in the freezer for a few hours to harden up. You can either proceed to the final step after the freezing process, or you may put them in a zip lock bag (after they are frozen) to store until you are ready.  In my case, I will not be doing the final step until the day before our party.
    


On Wednesday, I will be dipping them in red, white, & blue candy melts and adding patriotic sprinkles.  I will be back on Thursday to show you how it all turns out!

What are you up to for the fourth?

Thanks for stopping by,

Jane


8 comments:

  1. My kids love cake balls, but I've only made them once. A great shortcut is to use doughnut holes if your short on time. Can't wait to see them all decorated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Brandi! Never thought of doughnut holes. I actually have a cake ball "baker" which is good too - but the relatives like the "mush the cake up and add the frosting" recipe best (very putzy & time consuming though!)

      Delete
  2. These are different I never seen them before.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really turn out so cool - so it adds a lot of pizzazz to a dessert table.

      Delete
  3. What fun- I can't believe it is the fourth of July already- You are ambitious to make cake balls! Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Diana - they are so easy, but time consuming. But my family and friends just can't get enough of them, so what to do?! They are so fun because of the many different colors/combos you can come up with. I have made Christmas, 4th of July, St. Pat's, Brewers, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority colored, and even Harry Potter-inspired variations. The Harry Potter ones were red velvet cake dipped in yellow candy. Apparently those are "Griffindor" colors (according to my HP fan daughter!)

      Delete
  4. I am hosting our event as well. Just stopping by to wish you a Happy 4th of July!
    Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete