Friday, April 18, 2014

Saying Goodbye to a Sweet Friend

Hi everyone,

It has been a sad week about the Bluebird household, one that has been filled with heavy hearts and more than a few tears.

You see, this little guy - a part of our lives and days and minutes for the past thirteen years - gave in to chronic kidney disease and we had to say goodbye.


 
A gift for our daughter when she turned ten, he was home project supervisor,


Lover of naps in the sun, and

 
 
photo bomber extraordinaire!
 


Although we miss him dearly, we know he is resting comfortably and out of the pain he had been suffering.  Still, it was hard to let him go.  My favorite photo of him.  Just look at that sweet face! He brought so much joy and smiles into our lives, and we will forever be blessed by that.


I leave you with a poem a friend had given me many years ago when one of our cats had passed away. The words and sentiment are so comforting at this time of difficult decisions.
 
When the Time Comes
 
If it should be that I grow
frail and weak,
And pain should keep me
from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done?
For this - the last battle - can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship
must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years.
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes,
please, let me go.
Take me to where
my needs will tend,
Only, stay with me 'til the end,
and hold me firm and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree,
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering
I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close - we two -
these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
 
Barker
2/25/2001 - 4/15/2015
 
 

 



12 comments:

  1. So very sad! RIP Barker. Beautiful sweet cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Earlene, I appreciate the kind words.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, take care,

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a beautiful ginger I sorry for your loss.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful kitty. I think the poem says it all. We are always so sad to have them leave us, but they are not in pain any more. I cannot stand to see an animal in any kind of pain. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comforting words, Mary. It is always so hard to let them go.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel as we had to let our beautiful dog go two weeks ago. He also was 13 years old and we miss him so much. I still hear his breathing once in awhile and it's hard to go to bed at night without him at the side of the bed. I posted about him last week. I love the poem you selected. It is so true. Your kitty was beautiful and I know how much he will be missed..Take Care, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. And I agree, sometimes it feels like he is still here. So lucky to feel so much love, even in times of sadness.

      Delete
  6. Well, you know I am bawling like a baby here. God bless you- I know you are heartbroken. I hate losing a pet- it is like giving up a little piece of yourself, isn't it? I have never replaced our last little Misty cat that we lost. She, too, was 13 and just such an integral part of our lives. I don't think I could do it again...xo Diana

    ps. When you feel like it pop over and sign up for my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks, Diana, you always know just what to say.

      Delete