Sunday, February 24, 2013

Bustin' Out the Beadboard Wallpaper

Hi everyone!  As I mentioned in my last post here, I had a little weekend project that I started Saturday afternoon, and finished Sunday. 

When we built our home, the house plan called for a coat closet to be the first thing guests saw as they came into our front entry.  I nixed that, and had them turn the closet so it was in the hallway. Because of its placement near the basement stairwell, the closet ended up being very small - and just not practical for coats, etc.  So, for the past ten years we made do with hooks in the laundry room, the bed, chair, etc. 

Well, I had been planning and scheming about what to do to make this area a little more user friendly, and with the farmhouse style so popular, and our house be a farmhouse style house (!) inside and out, a beadboard and hook installation was a perfect solution.!

I picked up a $12.00 roll of beadboard wallpaper, a quart of paint, three coathoaks and went to town!


The first piece of beadboard wall paper went up - so fast and easy!


The last of the beadboard (two full, and one small piece in total).  I didn't even make a dent in my wallpaper roll - I have tons of it left.

 
 

Mr. Bluebird helped me out with the trim boards, mitering, and installing of the coathooks.


Ta da! The (almost) finished product! I say "almost" because I still plan on adding a vertical board to the right.  I will have to head to Menard's to pick one up, as it wasn't part of my original plan, but I really think it needs it to give it a finished look.  I also needed to put woodfiller in the screw hole on the upper right.

But here's the thing - I couldn't wait to show you guys what I have been working on, so I am taking a chance by posting without all the little details attended to.  Hope you still like me after that!!!

Anyway, this was a fun, easy, and FAST project (under two hours from start to (almost!) finished. The cost was less than $40, including the wrought iron hooks. The poplar board was only $2.18!  I really rather like how it turned out.   This is the view while standing in our kitchen - makes me smile!

Love it when a project turns out!!!!

Thanks for stopping by, and as always....

Wishing you happiness,
Jane

Linking with
Metamorphosis Monday
Tabletop Tuesday  (not a tabletop display, but I do have something on a flat surface!)
Wow Us Wednesday
Winter Blues Wednesday

28 comments:

  1. Just perfect Jane!! Love the arrangement and the chair too! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks!!! I do like it, I have to say. And I do love that little chair...s four dollar HE find. It has worn many colors and lived in many spots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks just great, Jane. It really finishes it off nicely- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowsa! That's awesome! Bead-board wallpaper....brilliant! Such a great idea. It looks fantastic!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that is wall paper! It looks awesome! What a quick and easy weekend update! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Danni! Yes, this beadboard wallpaper is some pretty amazing stuff. Goes up so easy and for such a low cost!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well for goodness sakes! Who would have thought that was wallpaper? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - it is pretty nifty stuff, I gotta say!

      Delete
  8. Looks fantastic! That beadboard wallpaper is pretty amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! A nice, small change with big impact.

    I hope you'll come see My Daughter's Master Bath Redo! #83 at Met Monday.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the change it made, what a huge impact. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great and I love the little chair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Elizabeth! I love that little chair, too - a GW find for cheap! ($4.00!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made that look so easy! The beadboard paper really transforms the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, it was soooo simple! Thanks for your nice comment. :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Jane,
    I love it!!!
    And I love that chair too.
    It's always so nice to meet a new Wisconsin blogger.
    Hubby used that beadboard wallpaper in a spare bedroom and we loved it, especially for the cost.
    I will be back to visit more!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. The beadboard is perfect for that corner. I love the look. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great weekend project. I love the beadboard wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Carlene - so nice of you to say!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did not know they made beadboard wallpaper!!! I'm so excited. Your entryway looks awesome. BTW, the coat closet is the first thing people see in my house. If I would have built the house I definitely would have put the door on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never understood why a builder would think a coat closet makes a good focal point!!! Thanks for stopping over Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks wonderful.
    I'm wanting to add some beadboard to my kitchen.
    TFS.
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tam - I have always loved beadboard. It adds alot of charm.

      Delete