Sunday, August 10, 2014

You Put the Suds in the (Olive) Bucket, Pt. 2

Hi everyone!

When last we met, I was all excited about the new olive bucket from WalMart and was on my way to aging it with a formula found on the internet.  Well, let me tell you - it has been a long process and I am continuing to wait for a little more "aging" to take place.  I first tried a bleach, vinegar,  and salt formula.  That worked a bit, but not as much as I had hoped.  Today I am going with the "toilet bowl cleaner" approach and that seems to be moving things along a bit more quickly.  I think I will need to keep this up for a few days to get to a patina I like.  Still, for $12-ish, I am willing to wait!

BEFORE:


ONGOING: 



In the meantime, Mr. Bluebird and I went to one of my favorite flea markets in Elkhorn this morning, and what to my wondering eyes should appear? A genuine, real deal olive bucket!  Gloriously rusted and weathered and crusty - in other words - perfect!  And get this:  the dealer was asking $35, but sold it to me for $30!!!  He had a lot to choose from, in a variety of shapes, sizes, and conditions, so it was great fun searching out one to take home - at a bargain price.



Isn't she a beaut?  I wire brushed it off and then gave it a couple coats of matte clear sealer to stop the rusting process - enough is enough!  Plus, I did not want rust rubbing off on whatever indoor surface I use it on.


So, never say never, but I think I have enough olive buckets now - not planning to be a bucket hoarder or anything like that.  I did a little research at home to see what prices these things get on the internet, and it looks like anywhere between $48 and $75 - so I am very happy with the $30 I paid out, plus I didn't have to pay shipping!  This was the only dealer that I found at this huge flea market that had olive buckets and prior to today, I had not seen any available before - either at the flea market or area antique shops.  In the end, a lucky find!


I do not know what will become of my WalMart faux bucket, but even if I can't get quite the patina I am looking for, I am confident I will find the perfect use for it here at home (outside or in), and it will fit right in with the rest of the family "treasures!" Hopefully there will be a part 3 of this story, but who's to say?


Hope you all had a terrific weekend!  Did you score any bargains? Real or faux?

Thanks for stopping by,
Jane

Partying with:
Amaze Me Monday
Boogieboard Cottage
DIY Sunday Showcase
Metamorphosis Monday
Coastal Charm Show & Share
Make it Pretty Monday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party
The Scoop
Wow Us Wednesday
The DIYers
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Grace at Home
Find Your Voice Friday





33 comments:

  1. How cool is that, finding one at the flea market and at a good price too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's aging nicely. I have an original olive bucket too, but your Walmart find was such a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like an original, but that Walmart deal is working out ok also!

      Delete
  3. love how its looking so far....I just might have to run to walmart.....your fern really looks good in the other one....I wish I had a green thumb.....thanks for visiting my blog.....I am enjoying my visit here as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - it's been out in the rain all day today, so I am hoping that has helped it along. My ferns do look good - but let me tell you, my other hanging baskets this year are awful, not sure why.

      Delete
  4. Cool find Jane! Glad the other one is not lonely anymore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i bought one and i painted it to look old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had planned on doing that originally, but decided to try this first. I may paint a color on top and then sand some of it off. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Great find! Love them both, and your Walmart bucket is coming along nicely. Toilet bowl cleaner, who knew!?
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the find. And I love the sunflowers. Hope you have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi - I love sunflowers as well. We had a mystery sunflower patch this year - I think it was from seed being dropped from our feeder.

      Delete
  8. Wow what a great find and you got sch good price!! love it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they are both quite beautiful, and I love, love, love the sunflowers spilling over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carol - each beautiful in their own way! And with the addition of sunflowers, everything looks better this time of year!!

      Delete
  10. They look amazing! Pinned. It is always a pleasure to have you be a part of our party! Please join us tonight at 7 pm. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane, I am visiting from Amaze Me Monday! I love this olive bucket..the old one especially but your Walmart version is looking good! I love anything galvanized...the older the better, right? And that fern looks FANTASTIC in the olden one. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby - thanks for the visit. I do have a BIG crush on my vintage olive bucket!

      Delete
  12. I have three olive buckets in rusty states and love them. They are useful all over the house inside and outside. If you need a little rust on the new one, fake it with a mixture of brown paint with cinnamon sprinkled on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olive buckets are great - I know what you mean about so many uses. I am considering the faking it for my new WalMart one - at least a bit. Who'd know? :)

      Delete
  13. What a bargain on the vintage olive bucket! I bought mine for $50 and thought that was good. I have seen them at local antique and florist shops for $100-$125. The Wal-mart is much nicer after you gave it the work over. I think you'll find uses for both of them! Thanks for sharing with SYC. Happy to be a new follower.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jann! It really was a lucky find - especially since they just aren't found around my area.

      Delete
  14. I have the Walmart ovive bucket too and MAY try to age it, still not sure:) LOVE, love the real one you got and at a bargain price! SCORE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the WM bucket was very nice unaged, but I thought I would give it a go!

      Delete
  15. I too have been trying the "toilet bowl cleaner" approach with my Walmart olive bucket. I think I need a few more coats. In the meantime, I love the authentic bucket you found and at such a great price!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your olive buckets! I keep checking our Wm for those but they do not ever get them in. Thanx for partying at THT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela. I've been looking at my WM (there are two near by my house) for over a year and only recently did they get them in. There were two. When I looked the other day, they were out!

      Delete
  17. I have that same Walmart olive bucket and it's still waiting for some age to be added. Yvonne at Stone Gable has a great tutorial for aging anything galvanized that I've used before! Here it is: http://www.stonegableblog.com/how-to-age-galvanized-metal/ Thanks for linking up to my newbie party! Hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I have read Yvonne's tutorial and I LOVE her blog!

      Delete