Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Finally: Master Bath Reveal

Hi everyone!

I kinda, sorta unintentionally took July off from blogging! I spent the month of July cleaning, sorting and purging closets and our basement and honestly, it just didn't make for any interesting blog posts. Thankfully, most of those visually boring and daunting tasks are behind me, and I am here today with the long promised reveal of our master bathroom! Can I get a hoo-ray????

This is where it all started:  faux black granite counter top, golden oak woodwork, etc. All perfectly fine, but my tastes have changed over the years and truthfully, this room has not been by friend from day one.  I don't know, it seems like everything I tried in here was a big fail.  But, that has all changed.  I think I can finally say I love this room!


The first change was to the vanity cabinet.  Our original vanity was well made and the style was simple, so I decided to paint it a deep, chocolate brown. It really works well with our dark bedroom furniture.  Even more, it took the paint so beautifully and the results far exceeded my expectations! We also painted the walls in a very light cream color, and freshened up the trim with glossy white.


So, come on in!  Now, I am the first to admit that it is not the Taj Mahal of master baths.  (You know that saying, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?") However, I think it has definitely improved by leaps and bounds! When it comes to master baths, this is teeny tiny - a simple vanity, toilet, linen closet and shower are  all squeezed into the space.


I am pretty darned smitten with the light fixture and the exposed Edison bulbs.  It took me a long time to make a decision on this fixture, but I am so happy with the final choice.  The hanging lantern has a Luminara timer candle in it and looks so cozy throughout the night. I also think the indoor/outdoor braided rug speaks to the style of the rest of our house.


We used old ceiling tiles to cover part of the wall behind the toilet, with the lower 3/4's done in beadboard wall paper.  Most of the accessories for this room were purchased from walmart.com with a gift card I had been given by my employer. I shared that with you all here.


There was a piece of ceiling tile left over, so I decided to hang my Billy Jacobs farmhouse print on it, along with a vintage key from the old Goldblatt's Department Store in Indiana. I think the picture on the tile is so cute and has far more presence than if it had been hung by itself.



We covered the fronts of the open linen closet shelving with wood trim.


A vintage Blue Willow pitcher with a fern cozy up to the hand towel holder.



I have seen this style of mirror/medicine cabinet maligned many times over the years on various blogs, but I decided to keep it (and gave it a paint job) because I wanted the storage and really, it's pretty plain and fits right in.  A new, one piece sink and vanity top, along with a bronze faucet and this room is complete!


I really tried to keep things streamlined and uncluttered in this room since it is so small.  Uncluttered for me any way, lol.  I think the simple design and color palette will lend itself to easy accessory changes down the road. We do have to finish trimming out the window, but if I waited for that to happen, who knows how much longer it would be before I could show you? So, close your eyes and imagine....

I am very happy with the results.  This room finally "fits" the rest of our house and provides a welcoming atmosphere to begin and end our day.

I've included a list of the products we used in the re-do, in case any of you have questions.


Replaced:
sink/vanity top - Imperial Colonial  VWC4922SPW 
faucet - Tuscany Parthenon Oil Rubbed Bronze Faucet  3142ORB
light fixture - Westinghouse Deansen Oil Rubbed Bronze Fixture 620212449-ORB

Painted:
existing vanity - Dimensions Ground Coffee
walls  - Dimensions Milk Paint
trim - Dimensions Gloss White
existing hardware - Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Canyon Black

Purchased:
*braided rug
*shower curtain
*hand towel holder
 tin ceiling panels (EBay)
*towels
*soap dispenser & tray
*robe hook
 Luminara candle (Hobby Lobby)
*Billy Jacobs print
 washboard behind toilet (vintage)
 multi-hook towel holder (Hobby Lobby)

*walmart,com

Phew!  It was a long haul, but worth the time.  I have more changes around here to share with you and will be getting some posts up soon.

Thanks for stopping by,
Jane

Join me at:
Wow us Wednesday
Share Your Cup
Sizzle Into Summer
Share Your Style
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday


16 comments:

  1. Your bath looks very nice. You succeeded in keeping it simple, yet very pretty. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, It looks just lovely. It may not be huge but it is functional and the layout is good. I think it really looks great now. I have been doing the same awful thing, purging basement and throughout the house...packing up....giving away....passing along, etc. It feels so good and I know it does for you, too.

    I am debating whether to paint one of the bathrooms here or not. I think it will depend on how much time I have left when we are ready to list.

    God bless you - it was good to see you here! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your bathroom looks so nice! What a great job you've done.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't often comment, but this was a "worth it" blog! The bathroom may be small by some standards, but no matter - you did an excellent job on the re-do. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's darling. I think I just got the same light fixtures for our powder bath. So cute. I love the picture on the old ceiling tile. So sweet.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome, Jane. I love that you did the cabinets in a darker shade---I think more of us are embracing deep dark stains. My daughter who is an interior designer often urges clients to keep the wood tones from the adjoining bedroom.

    You did good, the details are so cool. Love it to pieces! :)

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like what you did and next year we will be redoing ours. Last room in the house to get a make over. We have to get new fixtures though. I like the lights you have over the vanity and I am going to show Hubby them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love it Jane. You did a great job. Love all the wonderful details you added to your bathroom. Love the light fixture too. Awesome!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job. Having a project completed is always rewarding. Cannot wait to get our bedroom finished. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out so nice! I know that was a lot of work but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure you're enjoying your pretty bathroom. You know, I have thr hardest time knowing how to decorate my bathroom. Thank you for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie, Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out great. I love the wood in front of the wire shelves. So great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jane! Thanks for popping in to see me and I always appreciate your comments! Hope your week is going well.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's really amazing and gives a calm vibe. However, if you think of making it more comfy then you should try bath aids for making your bathroom more convenient. You can easily use bathroom even you are weak or feeling unwell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can review the dining institution table online, taking into consideration the dimensions and sizes. The dining room is one of the most enjoyable areas in your home. You can have an amazing dining room that is beautifully designed and situated. Examine right here for dining establishment furnishings or home furnishings, all of which are reasonably priced. Plastic sofa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your packaging must protect the interests from everything from wear and tear during shipment to exposure to the weather, from shipping to processing to store stock and shelf, and finally into the customers' homes. China BOPP film supplier

    ReplyDelete