Monday, January 13, 2014

Vintage Crates & A Sneak Peek

Hi Everyone! Here it is Monday already - hope you all have plans to make it a great week.  I have quite a few projects on the burner along with the fun of having a crown put on later this afternoon (and not the pretty kind with diamonds and such! I wish!).
 
But, onward and upward to some fun finds.  Mr. Bluebird and our Sweet Daughter took me to Fox Lake Country Antique Mall in Occonomowoc last month for my birthday. I had never been to this mall before, but oh my goodness I will be going there regularly!  It is beyond awesome.  It's huge and their selection cannot be topped.  Needless to say, it was the perfect way to spend my birthday!
 
I have a project going on that I needed three old wooden boxes for.  After searching for a few months, I just wasn't having any luck.  They were either wayyyyy too pricy or were labeled "Embalming Fluid" (what???!) or "Explosives" or the color/size/shape wasn't quite right.
 
I was so happy to find two of the boxes I wanted at Fox Lake.  I especially liked the Wisconsin connection and graphics on each of the boxes.  I remember having Graf's sodas at all of our family parties when I was growing up.
 

 


When I got them home, they were quite dry.  Out came my Parker & Bailey Orange Oil Polish - gosh, I love this stuff.


I found mine at Marshall's/Home Goods and it's only $4.99 a bottle. It smells heavenly!


 
 These boxes were so dry that I simply poured a generous amount of oil directly onto the boxes.  Then I rubbed it in with a paper towel and finally a soft, lint-free cloth.



You can really see the transformation in the picture above.  What a contrast.



Here they are - all oiled up and looking their best!

 

And for a little sneak peak into where these boxes will be going, I leave you with a view of our upstairs hall closet.  However, things are not as they appear.............stay tuned.  It's going to be awesome! Really, it is.  But, I have to make you wait because Mr. Bluebird has a few finishing touches he needs to help me with before it can all come together.

Check out my Clean Slate Monday post here to read about my somewhat of a fail week at organizing in the new year!

What's on your planner for this week?

Thanks for stopping by,
Jane


Linking to these fun parties:
Metamorphosis Monday
Monday Funday
Amaze Me Monday
Masterpiece Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesday




16 comments:

  1. i love these boxes. I have to paint the inside of my pantry closet...I've been putting it off for months and months. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you cleaned them up! I keep an old crate on top of my cabinets so the kids won't hurt themselves on the metal, but I never thought about polishing it up--thanks for the tip! Dee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the oil...really brings the richness out in the wood.

      Delete
  3. Love your crates-and love how you're going to use them!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your crates, they are fabulous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it fun to find a new shopping place??? That place sounds like a great one. Love the boxes you found. I've never heard of that oil before. Looks like it did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. It is a fabulous antique mall. Can't wait to go back!

      Delete
  6. Ha! My husband is in the explosives business and he collects those crates. I never know exactly what to do with them because the lids were cut off and if I turn them over the design is upside down. Several bloggers have used them....maybe I should too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Stacy! I do have an old box elsewhere in my house. The craftsmanship is amazing.

      Delete
  7. I love old boxes and collect them to use for storing anything from toys, magazines and just about everything. I find I can display things like yarn that I would normally put away. That way I always know what I have on hand. Besides I love old things. I didn't know about the oil, that will be handy to know. So far my friend has given me all the boxes I have and they were always finished nice. So thanks
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas, Janice. Lucky you to have such a nice friend!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete