Saturday, June 1, 2013

Success.....There's an "AP" for That

 
Hi Everyone!
 
I want to share a themed luncheon that I created the decor for this past week.  Students at the school where I work are able to take Advanced Placement (AP) tests for possible college credit every spring.  This is a worldwide event and our room coordinates the testing for our school.  For the past several years we have rewarded the students who have taken AP exams with an extra special luncheon several weeks after testing has concluded.  We always try to do a theme - we have done Mexican Fiesta, Hawaiian Luau, Beach, etc.  This year we chose a technology theme and came up with the slogan, "Success....There's an "AP" for that."  Kinda clever, if I do say so myself.
 
 
 
 
The luncheon was held in one of our auxillary gyms, so the morning leading up to the luncheon, a giant smart phone, sign, and lights were outside the doors to get the students' attention as they passed going class to class.
 
 
I made the phones out of scrap insulation board and 99 cent plastic tablecloths.  I also made the poster using tracing paper & paint pens.
 


Here is another display of phones and another sign inside the gym. 


A view of all the tables set.  We served over 200 students during three lunch periods.


 
The centerpieces were five empty CD cases hot glued together, scrapbook paper on the inside, and three CD "flowers" made with colorful CD's glued back to back.  Then a little silver filler for fun.  the placemat was just a photo copy of a QR code blown up.  Multi colored fuzzy balls or "pixels!" and mini Slinkys for fun finished it off.
 
We always are on a tight budget for decor, but I am so pleased with how it all turned out.  The kids really seemed to enjoy it.
 
A favorite local restaurant catered and served the students:  baked potato bar, pasta bar, salad bar, fruit assortment, and an ice cream sundae bar, along with lemonade and fruit punch.  It truly was a hit and made the kids feel extra special!
 
I wish the pictures had turned out better, but the lighting was way off, and I did not have time to fidget with the settings on my camera. 
 
Anyway, this is always a super fun part of my job and I look forward to helping out with it every year.
 
Hope you are all having a great weekend,
 
Jane


2 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job-especially on a tight budget. I'll be those kids felt really special, too! Hope you have a great weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks, Diana! It did turn out nicely.

    ReplyDelete