Saturday, September 14, 2013

Thinking Inside the Box!

Hi Everyone!  A few weeks back, I popped into one of my favorite antique malls, and walked out with this wonderful old packing box.  It was in wonderful shape, the graphics were awesome and I love the inky blue label on one of the sides.

 
 
 
 
 
 
I did a little research and found the company started out in the 1800's and are still in business today, now making ice cream toppings.  If you are interested in a little Robert A. Johnston Company history, you can check that out here.



 
 
I just love that the label is still basically intact!
 



Both long sides say the same thing.  Fascinating that it claims not to be part of any trust, as being a part of trust back then was frowned upon.

 

The label on the other short end is my favorite - I don't know why.  I think it is the actual cursive handwriting by some long ago quality control guy or gal that intrigues me.  So quaint.

So, what to do with this box? It kind of sat pushed aside in our family room for several weeks until I went to JoAnn's to get some supplies for another project.  I came across the most wonderful fall florals and knew I had to use them in this box! (at least for now!)



Two of the flowers were made from burlap and have French writing on them....there was a big crowd around these flowers when I was at the store, so I was grateful to have grabbed the two I did!



Here one is up close and personal - so cute!


I also selected three very large flowers - one in reddish orange, one in a lime green, and finally, one in a golden yellow.  Perfect with the colors in my family room - see how they complement the pillow in the background? I just love these!


I rounded out my purchase with a few other basic stems, added some I already owned, and finally plopped a raffia pumpkin in for a touch of fall. 

We have a landing half where up our staircase, where the stairs take a jog, and there is a ledge for décor  also.  I have never - in all of the ten plus years we've lived here - been happy with anything I have decorated this space with.  Don't know - it is just a constant nemesis! For now, I put my box and a wood/iron piece I have used in many different rooms over the years - also something that I love, but have never been happy with any place it has called "home."  (it is one foot out of here, I think, because it just never looks right! Have you ever bought something you loved, but it never really worked in your house?)

But, anyway, here is both of their homes for the moment.  The iron piece adds some needed height and a pop of color behind the stained box.  I like it - just not in love.  The box, however, is a keeper - looking forward to using it many ways!
 
 
 
So, that's me thinking inside the box today! Thanks for stopping by. 
 
Jane
 
 
Joining in these fun parties:
 

 



18 comments:

  1. Very nice box and great history about it.
    I have a thing for old boxes too.
    Nice fall display.
    ~Happy Fall~
    Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE that box. I can't believe how great of condition it is in-that label is perfect! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beauty - love advertising from my home state.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! And I love how you decorated it as well..perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cindy - from one Wisconsin girl to another!

      Delete
  4. Interesting history on your box!What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like these vintage boxes, don't see many of them. Love the way you decorated it with those pretty burlap flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are alot available in my area, but they can get a bit pricey at times.

      Delete
  6. Love your box and your display. Gorgeous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your display and especially those amazing burlap flowers!!!

    I found you from A Stroll Thru Time and am now a new follower!!! Hope you'll come check out my blog, as well!

    Suzie @ Dorothy Sue and Millie B's too

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great! Very colorful and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I Love this!!! I love that you looked up the history of it, as I do the same thing! I love knowing where and when something was made. Pretty amazing to think that something that old makes it to today day and age. And the flowers are perfect!!!

    Shelly from MinettesMaze

    ReplyDelete