Thursday, July 10, 2014

Hey Grandpa, What's For Supper?


Hi Everyone!

Some of you may remember the old TV show, "Hee Haw" from 60's & 70's.  One of the running gags on the show was with Grandpa Jones, and he would be asked, "Hey Grandpa, what's for supper?" One of his responses was, "Some large mouth bass as long as your arm, an' roasting ears and 'maters brought fresh from the farm. Fried apple pies, good and brown, and plenty of iced tea to go around." And the  audience with howl with laughter! 

Ah........it was a simpler time!  Mr. Bluebird still uses that line with me occasionally - and well, truthfully, it still makes me laugh.



It has been crazy busy around the Bluebird household lately, so it sometimes is a chore to get a meal on the table that doesn't come frozen on a cardboard circle (Tombstone pizza)!  Now, we do love an occasional Tombstone around here, but most days, something home-cooked is what we go for.  The family is still asking, "Hey Grandpa, what's for supper?!" So during the busiest times or when the thermometer outside is sweltering, I turn to the slow cooker.  It is so nice to just throw some ingredients in, let it "percolate" all day, and then voila! "Grandpa says" come n' get it!

                        

One of our family faves is super easy, and never disappoints!  Most of the ingredients I usually  have on hand.  The first thing I do is pour in a bag of frozen, chopped celery/onion/carrots and a large can of sliced mushrooms into the slow cooker.  Next, I melt a quarter cup of butter and pour it over the veggies.  DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!  It adds tremendous flavor to the veggies.  



Next, I place a turkey tenderloin (it also works with pork tenderloin) into the cooker, atop the veggies.  Lastly, I use 1/2 cup of beef broth mixed with 1 tablespoon of flour and pour over all.  I also will give a shake or two of salt and pepper over the turkey for a little extra flavor.  Put the top on the cooker, set it on low and let 'er go for the next 6 - 8 hours.



Oooh......you had me at celery, onion & carrots! Yum!


30 minutes or so before serving, I add 1 cup of uncooked Minute Rice, stirring it into the liquid and veggies.


We added a little mixed veggie on the side, but a green salad is wonderful as is a loaf of crusty bread.

So there you have it, a quick, easy, and delicious meal with plenty of leftovers for the next day.  Tell me, do you have easy meal ideas for the busy and hot days of summer?

Thanks for stopping by,
Jane

Linking with

18 comments:

  1. Oh...I remember Hee Haw....I loved it so much...good wholesome family programming, is there any show today that the whole family can watch together? I will be pinning this recipe for sure. I love using the crock pot, I can put it in before work, and when I come home the meal is ready! Thank you so much for linking up to Party in Your PJs this week...have a wonderful evening and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great meal! I usually use the slow cooker in cooler weather, but I think I need to change that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee. I don't use it alot in summer, but it sure makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. My kinda meal right here. LOVE our crockpot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crock pot is actually my daughter's and I have kind of taken it over; I love the size of it. She was a big crock pot fan while she was away at college this past semester.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks yummy! We love cooking in the crockpot. Sure makes it easy at dinner time. Thanks for sharing that recipe. May have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Kelly! I wish I used our crockpot more. I am in search of some new recipes.

      Delete
  6. MMMMMmmmm-ust try this Jane! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vel - may come in handy when the new bundle arrives.

      Delete
  7. Jane, that sounds delicious! I love that you did it in the crockpot. How perfect for a hot summer day.

    Thanks for your sweet comment about my bedroom inspiration. I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacey! It definitely helps keep the house cool in the summer.

      Delete
  8. What a great recipe for the crockpot. Reminds me of Thanksgiving in one pot..I'll have to try this next week when the temperatures soar again. Yum!
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE simple one pot meals. Especially when it's hot and you just put it all together, season it and let it simmer and make the house smell wonderful! This is our meal tomorrow night. You betcha. Thanks for the recipe. I can use my new slow cooker for this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not tried a turkey tenderloin before, but this looks delicious! I'm all for easy in the summer and use my crockpot a lot. That or a good salad. I do have a favorite summer recipe and it posts today. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe, Jane. I don't have kids at home anymore and I don't work outside the home, but WHERE does the time go??Simple and fast dishes are perfect. I love the slow cooker and we eat alot of pork tenderloin so this is a good fit. Will give it a try..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks incredible! Pinned. We really appreciate you taking the time to be a part of our party. Please join us tonight at 7 pm. It is a pleasure to have you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete