Saturday, December 26, 2015

Looking Back at 2015 Countdown: #6


Sunday, January 11, 2015


Memories & Momentos


Hi Everyone!

I am writing this post while watching the Packers/Cowboys playoff game....it's helping to relieve the stress! It's been a big football week around here...of course, it's exciting that our Packers are in the playoffs but an added twist is Tony Romo, the Cowboy' s quarterback, grew up just a few miles from us and Is a hometown favorite. Still rooting for the Pack, though. Sorry Tony!

Now, on to some decor additions to the Bluebird house.

My sweet, almost ninety year old mom recently sold her home and moved into an apartment. This all happened quite quickly and  meant doing quite a bit of downsizing.

For most of their lives, my parents lived an "American Pickers" kind of lifestyle and our house growing up was filled with an ever changing array of junk antiques. One thing that was a constant in the home I grew up in, and later in the house my parents spent the past thirteen years in, was this pine cabinet.


My mom was a whiz at refinishing and turned this battered cabinet into a thing of beauty. She always had it filled with her prized collection of Flow Blue and Blue Willow. Now, this cabinet has a prideful place in our living room. It balances the room out perfectly, as our large entertainment center is on the other end of the room. I am looking forward to filling it with treasures! I love having meaningful pieces in my house...it gives our home a soul.



I found a roll of $3.00 shelf paper that I plan on tacking to the inside back of the cabinet to help things displayed stand out a bit. I thought about painting the back,but once you do that, there's no turning back...not ready for that commitment! I will try the shelf liner for awhile.

 

I did keep a few of mom's Blue Willow pieces, like this super pretty creamer. It's chipped, but I still like it. I think I will put a little potted plant inside. The spice cabinet was a recent purchase from my favorite antique mall. I was going to hang it in the kitchen, but am thinking about using it somewhere less expected. Stay tuned for that!


I leave you with a picture of my mom. Probably the hardest working and positive-minded person I've ever known! I am hoping she will enjoy this next phase of her life and enjoy the new friends and activities available at her new home.

Thanks for stopping by,
Jane

3 comments:

  1. Jane, You still have your mom...hug her for me. I truly miss mine so much. Be sure to save something of your mother's for baby bluebird. She will treasure it. Blessings to all of you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother looks so attractive and I bet she will enjoy her new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane,
    Your mom is beautiful. Love that she still has a lot of life to live. Glad you are keeping some of the precious keepsakes of your mom's. Have a great week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete