Sunday, September 28, 2014

Flea Fallin'

Hi Everyone!

Hope you all enjoyed the weekend.  It certainly was spectacular around here - just the perfect fall day.  Mr. Bluebird and I headed out early Sunday morning to the Elkhorn Flea Market - my favorite.  It is only four or five Sundays a year and this one was the last one of the season.  Let me tell you, it did not disappoint.

One of the things I bought today was a $7.00 bundle of bittersweet.  This particular vendor had the best looking bundles and at a really terrific price.  Look at the vibrant colors - they just glow!!  I laid my bundle across my old scale in our front entry. 



One of the first vendors we came upon had this yelloware Purina Mink Chow dish sitting all by itself on a table and he was asking $10.00 - tried to dicker him down, but he wouldn't budge.  Ten dollars was a fabulous price, so I couldn't walk away.  He told me he had a few more in a box underneath the table.  Be still my heart!!!  I wanted them all, but settled for this burgundy one along with a square burgundy dish.  Deal of the day. In fact, I had laid them out on the table to decide which ones I wanted and another lady almost absconded with them!!!  There would have been punches thrown if I did not get my two dishes!!!

The round one looks quite charming under my lamp on the sideboard.



 For now, I just plopped my wax melter on the square one, but I know it will  find a different home soon. I am madly in love with the shape of this dish.


I have to share with you the story of how I came to even know these "mink chow" plates existed.  Last week I was looking through EBay at Purina feed sacks. I wanted to pick a couple up for a project I've been wanting to do.  I didn't find any I liked or at a price I wanted to pay, but I did find the green Purina dish you see in the picture below.


There were only two or three for sale on this particular day and I knew I had to have it.  Something about it just spoke to me and I had never seen these before. Well, with shipping, this dish made it to my doorstep for the paltry (cough, cough) sum of $58.00!!! I thought I had gotten a deal.

And then of course, today at the flea market, the first thing I see are six of these things for $10.00 a piece!!! Oh well, I was happy with the price I paid before I got to the flea market so that's the way it is.  I am pretty darned thrilled to have found two more - especially the square dish, at such a great price.  I just love them.  Three's my limit, though.  The collection is officially closed!!  I think they will be turning up in numerous spots around the house as time goes on, lots of creative things to do with them.  And if Mr. Bluebird decides to start mink ranching, well - we have three dishes already bought and paid for. Lol!

I also had the opportunity to meet a fellow blogger who I knew lived close by to my house, Karen from My Colonial Home.  From the distance, I could see a vendor who had lots of fabrics at their booth and there was a familiar face, that I recognized from her profile pic, holding up a piece of wool.  I knew it had to be Karen since I know of her love for wool for all her beautiful crafting! So I scooted on over there and introduced myself.  It was so nice to finally meet her.  Be sure to check out her wonderful blog - she has a fabulous home and often writes about her travels, too.

We had to keep our flea marketing short as Mr. Bluebird had a golf game and I wanted to be home to get the house ready for our daughter who is flying in tomorrow.  She has been gone since July and is home for a week or so until she flies off again to parts unknown for her job as a leadership consultant for her sorority.  We are so excited to have her back home again, even it is for just a few days.

Hope you are enjoying these fall days....we'll be talking Thanksgiving and Christmas before you know it!

Thanks for stopping by,
Jane

Linking with:
Southern Hospitality Thrifty Treasures
Amaze Me Monday
Masterpiece Monday
Monday Funday
DIY Sunday Showcase
Metamorphosis Monday
Show and Share
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday
Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party
Wow Us Wednesday
Treasure Hunt Thursday

4 comments:

  1. Never knew there were special feeding dishes for mink, they are so cool...I really like the white and green one. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great week, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique collection! New to me but I love all vintage! I will keep my eye out for these on future picking trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, how lucky were you to find those dishes from Purina? I didn't know they had them special for mink, but I guess those little beauties have to eat too! I love the red and white. You really got a good deal on the bittersweet. I have never seen real bittersweet and I saw some for sale on line the other day. 2 lbs. for $14. I thought that was terrific so I put in my order. Aftter totaling it all up the postage was almost $16 so I cancelled it. I couldn't see paying more for the postage than the product!! But I was disappointed..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this! Fabulous finds. Pinned. It is so fun to party with you. Thank you. I hope to see you at our party on Monday at 7 pm. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete